Friday, April 8, 2011

***Today Only (4/8/11)!!!

***Looking for a healthy Paleo treat?  What about something to stick in the kids Easter baskets?  Check out Caveman Cookies on facebook or at www.cavemancookies.com.  Here is what they posted ... "If you order cookies today, (4/8/11), and enter coupon code "Paleo" at checkout, you'll receive 15% off your order. Enjoy!  Caveman Cookies"


Also, found out that the first Paleo magazine is being published next month.  "Paleo is the first, and only, print magazine dedicated to the Paleo/Primal lifestyle. Each issue provides information on diet, exercise, daily living, interviews with experts, recipes, reviews and much more! Paleo"  You can also find them on facebook or www.paleomagonline.com.


Another resource that has been a help to me is Everyday Paleo which can also be found on facebook or at www.everydaypaleo.com.  She also does a podcast that you can download and listen to.  I have tried a couple of her recipes already and enjoyed them. 


Speaking of recipes, here is the first one I am going to post on here.  You can also find it here at:  http://stevepaleo.blogspot.com.  


Paleo Key Lime Pie
Crust:
1.5 cups whole almonds
4 pitted dates
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
(I didn't make up the date part.. here's some paleo crust recipes)
Put it all in a food processor and stop just short of nut-butter
Dump it into a standard pie pan (smear with coconut oil first) and, with your fingers, just mush it flat. Don't bother going all the way up the sides with it - though a visible crust looks good, you have to worry about it burning in the oven - too complex for a lazy caveman. Form the crust so it goes about half way up the sides. Pre-bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes - should be just a tad golden.

Filling:
4 teaspoons lime zest (you know... get the grater out)
1/2 Cup lime juice (fresh of course)
3 Tablespoons agave syrup (can use honey)
2 Tablespoons coconut flour
3 eggs
1 Cup Coconut Milk (Thai Kitchen brand recommended)
Get a whisk and mix it up real good. When pie shell is done, dump filling into shell and put back in oven for another 25-30 minutes (filling should appear to be set up). Hopefully the crust is actually covered. If not, don't let it burn - cover with foil near the end if you have to.
Key limes are these itty bitty limes that are slightly better than real limes but WAY more work. I used 20 to make ONE of the pies - fairly redonkulous. Even then i needed extra limes to get more juice. I swear more seeds than juice came out of some of those little buggers. I would buy 3 as "evidence" but use regular limes instead ;-) I made it both ways -hardly tell the difference. This pie really needs to cool and IS better the next day but i'd be a hypocrite if i told you to wait.
I'm embarrassed to say i've had this every night for the past 4 nights! For a 5 block meal, it's quite reasonable to combine this with a good portion of veggies and some lean meat. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Eat Well! Steve "Paleo"

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering if you've used agave syrup and how does that compare to honey?
    I can't wait to make Key Lime pie!
    Can't wait for more posts. Good job Katrina! :)

    ReplyDelete